...make a peep

An official blog of Lunchpail Books... helping early readers get excited about reading! We provide vocabulary appropriate and FUN books for the early reader (K-3). Our books are carefully crafted to entice beginner

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Toast on my Tie

Children as Teachers!
Teach and LearnLunchpail Books
Being a parent can be a humbling experience… the special spirits that are under  your care and stewardship change your life forever.  Not only do you learn to let go of your natural selfishness- you learn to be humble.  One time years ago, when the kids were very young– I headed off to work early in the morning, giving hugs and heading out the door.   Half-way through the day someone pointed out something stuck to my tie.   And there it was, a small piece of toast– solidly affixed to my neck-tie via peanut butter and jelly.  It must have been transferred to me via a morning hug.  It was stuck there just like a tie-tack… about 1/2 inch square.  At first, I was horrified– all those meetings I went to, all those folks I interacted that never said a word.   Did they think toast was a fashion statement?  After the horror subsided, I removed the toast, wiped down my tie and laughed to myself… I realized then how lucky I was to express such a fashion statement… it said “Loving Dad”.   Kids are grown now, so I have to put my own toast on.

Here are some lessons that kids have taught us:

Great Truths About Life That Little Children Have Learned

  • No matter how hard you try, you can’t baptize cats.
  • When your mom is mad at your dad, don’t let her brush your hair.
  • If your sister hits you, don’t hit her back. They always catch the second person.
  • Never ask your 3-year old brother to hold a tomato.
  • You can’t trust dogs to watch your food.
  • Reading what people write on desks can teach you a lot.
  • Don’t sneeze when someone is cutting your hair.
  • Puppies still have bad breath even after eating a tic tac.
  • Never hold a dustbuster and a cat at the same time.
  • School lunches stick to the wall.
  • You can’t hide a piece of broccoli in a glass of milk.
  • Don’t wear polka-dot underwear under white shorts.
  • The best place to be when you are sad is in Grandma’s lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

www.lunchpailbooks.com appreciates your comments...