...make a peep

An official blog of Lunchpail Books... helping early readers get excited about reading! We provide vocabulary appropriate and FUN books for the early reader (K-3). Our books are carefully crafted to entice beginner

Friday, August 6, 2010

Reading- Building Hooks

We all know that reading and reading comprehension are paramount to success in our country or really anywhere in the world.   I was surprised to find out that my homeland (USA) ranks 21st in literacy rates around the world.  We are behind Slovenia, Kazakhstan (wasn’t that where Borat came from?), Turkmenistan and Albania… just to name a few.  About 14% of Americans are functionally illiterate.

What’s going on?

I don’t really have a good answer, but think about this a lot.  I have talked with some illiterate folks and politely probed into what happened… most respond that they should have paid more attention in school, or in some cases did not do well in school so dropped out.  The surprising thing to me is that some of these folks actually graduated from high school!   I know my observations are strictly anecdotal, but I would not be surprised if this was a common thread.

Reading is indeed basic, but it is much more than just reading and understanding the words around you.  Reading and learning in general changes your brain:  I like to think of it like creating “hooks” that ideas, facts and thoughts can hang on to.   I used to be a professor and found that some of our older returning students really struggled with their first class back in school.  I would encourage them, having experienced the same feeling when I went back to school.  I believe that our “hooks” get rusty.  However, I found and many of these students also found that it got much easier as time went on.  I also believe that the original “hooks” were grown there from earlier learning experiences, mostly through reading.

Some children struggle with reading… I was one of them.   Reading was hard.   I could recognize words pretty well… but to sit down and enjoy reading…never!   Perhaps today, I would have been diagnosed with ADD, but I don’t know for sure.  I can tell you that I fumbled my way through reading time, often feeling traumatized in our reading groups.  However, I really loved Dr. Seuss.  Sadly, I was still reading and enjoying Dr. Seuss well past the target reading group… I think I was still popping out the “Dr. Seuss Sleep Book” or “If I Ran the Zoo” well into 5th grade.   I enjoyed them… fanciful, rhythmic, easy!
I think I am still a slow reader, but can “sprint” when I need to—just not for long periods of time… I can scan a page in a few seconds, but to sit down and read through “Harry Potter” doesn’t appeal to me.  Consequently, I read principally non-fiction; and have learned a lot.  In spite of my challenges, I am passionate about reading the fundamental skill for life- long success… no matter where you live.
Now, I have turned the tables and am an author… not of novels, but children’s books.   I am trying my best to capture the fun that I did find in the books I read as a child… the silliness, the rhyme the rhythm. So, I have created Lunchpail Books.   I designed them for readers like me… it’s got to be fun… I want to be anxious to turn the page.

So, how do we improve literacy?

Encourage your child to read… have books in your house!  The library is great—but owning a book and being able to pull it out anytime, is a treat!  I have raised a bunch of kids… and I spent lots of time teaching them to read.   I am very proud that every one of them reads better than me.  Their minds have been expanded and their “hooks” are in place.

I have spent considerable time and effort bringing you high quality books that are designed for the beginner reader. The world of children’s books is quite competitive- so what makes us stand out?  Like the great Seuss, we use a very controlled vocabulary… this makes it easier for the young reader to read the words on their own.   Many other children’s books although delightful and more artfully illustrated—fail to use words appropriate for the early reader.  

Also, we have taken this one step farther, by including translations in Spanish, French, Italian, and even Chinese… written with the same careful vocabulary, rhythm and rhyme.  Take a look at our multiple languages.

To make book ownership, even more special we are offering personalization.   You can personalize each book with a message directed at him or her.  Think how special it will be for them to see their name in print!

See what you think… check it out and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

www.lunchpailbooks.com appreciates your comments...